Search Engine

Cross Country

It's weird to think that in one week barring something historically magical, my cross country career is going to be all finished up. I don't think things like this can really hit you until you are staring them in the face.

Last year I got complacent and I let things slip away. It's funny how a really great year can turn quickly into a really crappy year after that. I had hated having to go through all the stuff I did last year at this team. Watching my teammates keep running while I was done was incredibly painful. But it made me hungry. It made me the guy I was this summer. The guy I was this year. I didn't hold anything back on my training and I didn't let anyone tell me no or tell me what I couldn't do.

Look, this year wasn't anything amazing. I'm not trying to say I'm suddenly a big name in the game of running and that my achievements are anything better than anybody else's, but there is something satisfying about hard work isn't there? Just about knowing that all your hard work got you to where you had fantasized about getting to.

I always thought I could just keep doing the same thing and keep improving, but eventually everybody hits the wall and hits the point where things won't click no matter how hard they try. I train months on end so that one day of the year it will click. And it's worth it to me. That's why I keep doing it.

But after Saturday I won't be doing it anymore. I'll be done running with the guys and running with my best friends with a name across my chest that means something. It's sad to know that I'm losing a little piece of who I am this week.

Goals may be reached, but as soon as you hit one, you start adjusting and looking ahead. There will always be something to chase and new dreams to be realized.

I know I don't have any readers out there anymore, so I'm just talking from the heart. But hey, if somebody does stumble upon this old abandoned place, enjoy the ride because it's an honor to be able to represent your school and run with your friends. You can't take it for granted because you don't know when it will all end.

Well I guess I kinda do now.

Dang.

I hope I make this last race count, and I hope all you out there make the memories last.

-train

2 comments:

  1. And coming from a current freshman in college, it doesn't seem like that day will come but it will and will be quicker than you expect. Like he said enjoy the ride until it stops and represent who you are and want to be. If you think high school went fast, wait till college starts.
    For etrain, I still look every once and awhile to read over your running diaries posts to get some inspiration and enjoy the great stories. I hope you have a great time this weekend and have a great race. I will be out there racing as well. Maybe this time we can meet in person. Good luck
    - Cody Nail, Waynesburg University

    ReplyDelete
  2. ITs been a pleasure to "train" with you this past year and a half give 'em hell this weekend, remeber you should give it all you have out their and do whatever it takes for you to reach your goal. Even if that means dying before you finish. An I'm not talking about figurativelly dying as in hitting the wall and red lining. But literally dying as in falling over with your heart not beating and your body laying lifeless. Because hey, after this weekend what do you really have to look forward to in life. Its not like you're gonna graduate summa cum laude from an extremely respectable school with a bright future a head of you.

    Love,
    Tom McGuire

    PS- if only it weren't for gentics I'd be right out there with you

    ReplyDelete