Search Engine

Footlocker Nationals

So I was wrong. Cheserek didn't scare the course record today at Balboa Park, but man was that one heck of a race. I feel extremely priveleged to say I got to see both races on live webcast today (both were awesome, especially the guys) and got to watch two PA runners work their way up to All-American status. PA don't play.

Now Angel may have left a little bit too much ground early and had to play too much catch up, but that was probably better. A fast pace at that course would have hurt her bad. Meanwhile, she ran in the 17:40s at that course so that's pretty legit.

Dustin just ran solid and kept his head about where 15th place was. Great job by Dustin, 2nd Northeast finisher behind only Eddie Ches. Nice company.

But on to the race out front. All hope I had for the record went out the window when Cheserek sat back the first mile and waited to see what Futsum would do, so then it was just on to who would win the title. The two battled it out hard core over the whole stretch with a huge move at the hill, probably the fastest I have seen anyone take that hill since Matt Withrow.

That being said the time wasn't all that fast. Verzbicas ran 14:59 the year before basically walking the last stretch and having run a horrible conditioned course at NXN just a week prior. So maybe I have to rethink Cheserek as the greatest XC runner of my generation. LV is still pretty darn good.

Come track we will see what kind of gears Cheserek has to go after Lukas's records and chase down marks like 8:30 and 4:00 and 14:00, each more likely than the mark prior.

13:37, 8:29, and 3:53. All pretty legit, but the way Cheserek ran this year, in the right race he could scare some of these.

And heck if not, he's got a whole other year after this.

Somebody get me a birth certificate please.

-train

PS I'm working on a rankings board for the top 50 XC runners over the past 6 years (since I started following the sport) for the PA boys. I'll hear some opinions and such and you all can let me know what you think before/during/after I finish the process. Keep in touch and get pumped because now it's officially track season.

No comments:

Post a Comment