Search Engine

Independent League, Penntrack and More

I'm not sure if Sam Hibbs is going to be taking his show on the road to nationals in a few weeks, but I hope he does. He did the strong work out front to make that race happen and his strength is definitely longer. Hibbs also ran his last two 3200s of the season relatively uncontested so there seems to more room to improve if he wants to go for it.

But the real story here is not Sam Hibbs, but Dustin Wilson and more importantly perhaps Ben Ritz. Ritz, the Junior who appears perhaps a few spots too low on etrain's top 50 list, dropped a 4:12 massive PR when he beat out Dustin Wilson over 1600m. Ritz had a nice 3200m PR around 9:22ish and some solid races on the track, but this really comes from out of left field. He has made steady improvements all year long and could be very dangerous in an independent league that looks pretty deep out front next year. Wistar and the little Ritz, added PRs to the mix as well.

As for Wilson this time is significant for him as well. He is definitely a 5k guy, and almost certainly is shooting for that come nationals, but having 4:13 speed in the open 1600m is a nice weapon to have in your back pocket. He hasn't really thrown down any really fast times so far this spring, which makes me think he is working hard to peak at Nationals. He could run a very scary 5k or 3200m. Possibly sub 9 over 2 miles considering he ran 9:02 last year and he PR was only roughly 4:16 in the open (indoors over a full mile he ran 4:17 and I converted it down). He had a couple splits around 4:14 and 4:13 chasing people in DMR's for CHA, but there is a difference between chasing on a relay leg and running a tough 1600m effort like this.

Great work all around for these guys in a meet that may go right over some people's heads. Major props.

Hopefully we will see some good performance's at Henderson as well. If anyone has a Henderson Distance Festival Performance list for the high schoolers let me know.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I wish I had a penntrack account so I could defend CatSmasher. If he reads my blogs at all, I would just like to say that you are getting some unnecessary lip from the PTXC guy on there. It should say Ben Ritz and Dustin Wilson, no offense to Sam Ritz, he ran a great race, but Ben was the winner of the race! And PTXC talked to CatSmasher like he was oblivious, not the other way around. I support you CatSmasher, and if Penntrack hadn't deleted both of my accounts I would have posted to your support I promise, but unfortunately I can't.

Lastly, I came to the exciting conclusion recently that a lot of schools have different readers on the blog. So I thought it might be cool if I tried to make a ongoing list of schools the blog reaches. If you are interested I'm going to make a blank post and comment on that one with what school you go to/graduated from and we will see what kind of readership we have here on the blog. You don't need to leave your name unless you want to.

Thanks,
Peace

6 comments:

  1. I believe both of the Ritz brothers are a year behind or something because I recall seeing them in results somewhere else and Ben was a senior and Sam was a junior. I'm not positive though. I am positive the Wistar and the other GFS guy should be seniors because when you transfer into one of the Inter-Ac school get held back a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **and they both transfered from AFS

      Delete
    2. Wistar did not transfer. He has been running at GFS since his freshman year.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to note that they just recently changed it to Ben Ritz. This is the second time they've changed the headline of an article. They mess up simple things. (like saying Hibbs won XC states even though it was his teamate Quinn)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilson's been dancing around an injury for the last 3 months. If that's true then I'm not surprised that he hasn't dropped any "fast" times this spring.

    Both Ritz bros are the right age.Sam in the freshman mile at nationals,Ben in the EE mile, and the team will enter the DMR too (should run 10:15-10:20).

    Aziz ran for AFS, went to morocco for a semester, and upon returning enrolled at GFS. He might be a few months older than most juniors but nothing to get in a tizzy about.

    Hibbs: my guess is 2 mile at nationals. Has a shot at his bro's record (9:08.0) if he gets in a good heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben Ritz is a JUNIOR, Sam Ritz is a FRESHMAN.

    ReplyDelete