Search Engine

Race Stories: Barrett Kemp

What was your strategy going into the state meet? How did the race play out relative to your expectations?

States has always been the most difficult race of the season for me – it’s everything you’ve been working for, month after month, culminating in one final 16-minute burst of effort. It’s easy to mentally work yourself up over it, and if you don’t watch yourself, that’s something that can seriously affect your race. That being said, my strategy this year was not to stress out – it was to keep calm and relaxed leading up to the race and then, come race day, channel all of my focus into that last, ultimate test of ability – the race itself.
More specifically, as far as the race, my plan was to play it safe. And that’s not as easy as it sounds, trust me. The ‘play it safe’ strategy comes into action the first mile, where my only goal was to settle in with the front pack – not push the pace or anything crazy like that. After that, it’s anybody’s race. As everybody who has ever run the State meet at Hershey knows, the Aloha Hills are one hell of a challenge mid- and late-race, and so in the end it basically comes down to a combination of who has the best training and who has the most fight in their hearts – anybody that tells you anything differently is lying or flat-out wrong.
That being said, I gave the last two miles what push I had – and thankfully, I had enough fire in my heart to keep the pace honest. Unfortunately, for other reasons beyond my immediate control, my body didn’t have the strength to put in that last-mile surge – but still, I finished 6th, a happy place after a long and indecisive season.

Last year the state course took its toll on you, but this year you had a great race. How do you think you prepared differently for this season compared to last?

To be honest, I couldn’t really say that there was too much of a difference in my pre-season preparation this year versus last year. Sure, I upped my summer mileage a little bit, and tried to throw in some more cross training and that kind of thing, but in the end I felt pretty much the same, readiness-wise.
What it boiled down to in the end, I think, was willpower. Sure, this year I was naturally a little stronger, a little faster and a little wiser, but ultimately, it came down to that one thing: that this State meet was the last race of my last year of high school cross country. When you know that going into a race, you try to hope that everything works out perfectly – that you won’t have any cramps, or muscle exhaustion, et cetera – but all of these things inevitably pop up. So, what do you do – you push harder than you’ve ever pushed before, and blot out all that excruciating pain like it’s not even there. You give it your all.
A lot of guys, myself included, would like to say we ‘give it our all’ every race, and that’s what makes us great runners. Well, that’s true, but I’ll tell you something – when it’s your last race, you really are giving it everything you’ve got. And that’s just barely enough.

This season had its ups and downs, but you pulled everything together at the right time. Was there a workout or key moment that gave you the confidence to compete with the best in the state?

I could list a number of important stepping-stones in my journey to states – important work-outs, speeches, et cetera – but I’d be lying if I said that any of those things made the difference going into the State meet. When it really happened, when it really all came together and clicked in my head, was on the starting line with my team. We have a kind of pre-race ceremony, a tradition, where we stride out into the middle of the field, form a huddle, say a few words, swaying back and forth, then – spit all together, in the middle of the huddle. It was only then, standing there with my team -- my true brothers – that it all sunk in, and I was ready to race.


Your team made a great run to the state meet and had an excellent finish. How did you feel about your team’s accomplishments?

        My team is a constant source of inspiration and support, and I would give up anything to not be leaving them this year. I’ll keep it short: this year we worked harder than we ever have before, and, too, got closer than we ever have before – I’ll leave that to your imagination, but not all of it has been as nice as it sounds. They’re a fantastic bunch of guys, and I’ll miss all of them, come next year.
        Quick shout-out to our coaches, too: Josh and Jenn Hoffman. They had their second child just weeks into our season, and still – even with a toddler and a baby on their hands – stayed true to us, and coached us to a great season. They’re a veritable force of nature together, and I love them both. Thanks.

Any postseason plans? Track goals? College plans?

        As fun as it would be, I’m not going to be attending the Foot Locker competitions. Instead, I’m going to focus on my winter training and the college search – it’s pretty important stuff. I’d share hopes and dreams, but I like to keep that kind of thing to myself.

        A big shout-out to every runner at States this past weekend, congratulations to all of you. Brendan, Sam, Curt, Ryan, and everybody else – it’s been an honor running with you gentlemen for the past four years, and I can only hope to face some of you again in college. I have never felt such a feeling of respect and camaraderie among people anywhere else in my life, as I have as a cross country runner. You guys are what make this sport amazing – let’s keep that running spirit alive! It’s been great, all of it -- love you all.

1 comment:

  1. Classy, precise, and grateful. This is why xc is the best. The people and the atmosphere that surrounds the sport is something that no other sport can say they truly have.

    ReplyDelete