Search Engine

Taking a Trip to States

I will be making the trip up to the state championships at Hershey this weekend for perhaps the final time. If anyone wants to meet up, talk track, just meet the man behind the posts feel free to give me a call or text or something. My name is Jarrett Felix and my number is 215-450-1099. I am 20 years old and I hopefully don't sound like a child predator for making posts like this. I know there are at least a few parents out there who are readers so this meet up chance applies to you to if you feel you want to talk to the guy posting up some of the things your kids are reading or whatever. I'm planning on wearing some Muhlenberg gear, I'm a Junior here and a Co-Captain of the Cross Country team so if you want to talk to Muhlenberg also feel free. And I have a facebook if you want to facebook stalk what I look like. Again, not trying to be creepy, just trying to be accessible to the readers. Hopefully, its a fun time and a cool race.

Now I am going to get sentimental for a moment.

I know he doesn't really read this blog anymore, because he is a focused man, but if he does, I hope he isn't too embarrassed by what I say.

What's really cool about getting older and following the sport for a while is watching kids improve and rise to the highest level, from relative obscurity to well known commodity. For me, I'm most excited about the state race because I get to see my good friend Francis Ferruzzi run in probably his last race of his High School career on Saturday. Francis and I went to high school together and we have done countless runs together over the years from the time he was a Freshman until now. I'd be lying if I said I knew right when I saw him that he would run 15:45 and break the school 3k record indoors. I still remember the first run anyone did with Francis and my friend Todd told us all, watch out for this kid he is going to be good. We didn't listen to Todd then (which was silly because the kid is a genius), but we should have.

At Paul Short, Francis took off on all of us older guys and led our pack through the first mile, a gutsy move for a Freshman at the biggest meet of his young career. He ended up running under 17 minutes, one of the only Freshman in our schools history to boast a mark like that. That was the moment when I knew he was something special. At Districts, Francis was the top Freshman in the race. He was a key part of our team's 10th place finish at the District meet after losing virtually our entire varsity team from the prior season. It was the last race that Francis and I ever ran together.

Francis and I are neighbors and we have grown over the years to become good friends. We have ran together so many times that is just habit. Whether it be hill work outs at 7 in the morning or late night long runs at 2 in the morning, it was a quality run. Over the years he has become faster and faster (especially relative to me), but I still often times think of him as that little freshman I met a few years back.

Since going off to college, I've missed a lot of races I really wish I could have been at, whether it was the Trojan Track Classic sophomore year or his PTFCA classic 3200m last year. Honestly, there are a lot of moments that I really regret missing, only able to hear about it through a short phone call before the cool down.

That's why this year, for his final race, there is no where else I would rather be than cheering for my friend on the brutal Hershey course. Our high school cross country career comes full circle this weekend at Hershey.

There are thousands of stories like ours this weekend at Hershey. Thousands of runners whose dreams are realized, whose friends and families are watching the final race of a high school career, filled with ups and downs (ironically much like the state's course).

So Saturday, remember the journey of how you arrived at this moment. Seize the power of the moment and run with it all the way through the final hill.

Because before you know it, you will be an old guy like me, sitting a computer screen, remembering the good old days of running with his best friend.

Good luck everybody.

25 comments:

  1. That's a really nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the good old days of high school xc. Where has the time gone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tearin' up. I'll see you there, probably be the only non-running kid in a Mt. Lebanon shirt there

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful.. If you could take a moment to educate those of us who are reasonably new to the blog- why is your name etrain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I've been reading the blog for a year and I still don't know...

      Delete
    2. Well its not the most exciting story in the world, basically it goes like ... my dad originally made a penntrack account and his nickname was e, short for earl as in earl monroe, the basketball player

      so when he was thinking of an account he made it e and then train not for the locomotive but for the act of training (more specifically it was weight training actually because he is a power lifter)

      once i started getting into the sport, i needed an account to post on penntrack so i adopted my dad's and the name stuck

      the rest is history so to speak

      Delete
  5. Etrain, getting all sentimental, you're killing me! Nice post though.

    One thing pretty consistent through the years with cross country is that for whatever reason, each senior tends to look after a sophmore or freshman. A bet just about every past high school cross country runner can name the guy he looked up to and the kid he looked after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like the rule of two, a master teaches the apprentice, the apprentice becomes the master and teaches someone else. Everything comes full circle. Great post, this is the part of xc that is not talked about alot but so true. XC is so much more than just running!

      Delete
  6. i understand where you are at, i wish i could be there watching my boy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HENDERSON WINS! TONY RUSSELL 1st place

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two years in a row for O'Hara... that has to sting.

    Congrats Henderson and Russell! They have now proven themselves on the State course. Can't doubt them again.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep taking post off but ohara fueled the fire choke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O'hare didn't choke. They scored 69 points. That wins States just about any year. As I posted earlier, Henderson would have to take it from them, and they did. Great race!

      -RJJL

      Delete
    2. I don't see how anyone choked this year. It was great races on both parts, Henderson's 6th guy got 48th. Last year ohara should have won it, but this year Henderson's team was just too good for it to be so simple.

      Delete
    3. Unbelievable race by both squads, 3 medalists and top 5 in the top 50 is ridiculous. (top 7 for Henderson 52 and under). No choke by O'Hara,they ran great out there.

      --ForrestCRN

      P.S. Another reason to post your name is to get credit for picks. No idea who it was, but some kid was talking up Jacob Fetterman as a possible medalists and he got ripped so hard for it, and look what happened, Fetterman was 17th. So congrats to him and to whomever posted about him on the blog. Start putting your names guys (thanks RTJ, RJJL, and JM)

      Delete
    4. ForrestCRN, I wish I was putting my name from the get go. I've been a big WCH/Russell fan since the summer and was happy to seem them come through. It's good for the ego to be half right once and a while!

      -RJJL

      Delete
    5. Thanks Forrest! I knew Fetterman always ran great on the states course and tried to get him some much needed recognition! However, some people accused me of talking up " The worst AAA district 2 champ in the last decade." I love it when I am right! - J from district 2

      Delete
  10. Biggest shocker for me was Norris since he's only be running for about 12 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Consider this: In 35th/36th were Haugh and Pastore, both with times of 16:40. This means that O'Hara was less than a second away from winning by two points, and lost. That's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened last year when NP's Davis edged Pitone. Ironically, at nearly the same time, 16:39.

      Delete
    2. Nope, it was Davis. Trimble came in at 16:41

      Delete