Search Engine

Some Facts

Yeah, I know I have really decreased my posts as of late but I'm fairly swamped this week in school work and I was on break with my friend visiting last weekend so I couldn't really blog all the time. So I'm going to try to throw together this post real quick during my breaks in the day, and we will see how this goes.

Here are some facts you have to keep in mind for this upcoming outdoor season, I'm just listing these straight off the top of my head in no particular order so if I mess up my bad.

1. The AAA Boys XC State Champion has broken 9:20 the following spring every year since Ian Gottesfield in 2002.
2. The AAA Boys 3200m State Champion has been from District One every year since Curtis Bixler won the title in 2005.
3. At states, the AA 3200m State Champion has not run faster than the AAA state champion while I have been following the sport. I think Jake Walker would have been the most likely candidate but I haven't looked it up.
4. A PA runner hasn't won the mile at Penn since Chris Spooner. During that time Dennin and Micikas both have won the 3k.
5. In the DMR at Penn, Coatesville, GFS and Upper Dublin combined to win three straight championships. Then CB South just missed a 4th in 5 years for the DMR at Penn.
6. PA has had multiple 4x800m finalists in the Championship of America.
7. Despite Henderson's XC dominance and great individual performances, they have not won the 4x8000m at states this century (unless they won in 2000? not sure)
8. The Suburban One American Conference has had the 1600m Champion 3 out of the past 4 years with Crits, Palmisano and Magaha winning. The District One 1600m Champion has come from the Suburban One American conference each of the last four years.
9. PA has had at least one runner under 9:05 in the 3200m every year I have been following the sport (so at least 2006).
10. 21 PA runners have broken 9:10 for 3200m or the 3k equivalent in the past 5 years. That's over 4 different runners per year. With Wilson already on the sub 9:10 list, if history continues 4 new runners will be under 9:10 for 3200m this year.
11. 10 different runners have broken 1:52 in the open 800m or in a relay split in the past 5 years. If you count Magaha's indoor split of 1:51.0 that he claims he had in his most recent penntrack post, that puts the number up to 11.
12. At least one sophomore has cracked 1:55, 4:17 and 9:20 each over the past three years highlighted by Dustin Wilson, Wade Endress, and Drew Magaha.
13. Only two PA runners have run under 4:05. The last guy two guys to run under 4:10 as high school juniors didn't run faster as seniors (McNally, Miller)
14. North Penn hasn't had a medalist over 1600m in the past five years. Bernitt and Miles both had near misses in the 3200m in 2010.
15. In the AAA Distance Relays and Individual Events at states over the past five years outdoors (a total of 20 events) District One has taken down 17 of those state championships. District 3 has the remaining 3, two of which came in 2007. Only Cedar Crest has broken up the District One distance dominance with their 2010 4x800m win in the past four years.
16. The cross country state champion for AAA has won at least one state championship either indoors or outdoors each of the past eight years with the exception of Brad Miles.
17. Last year Kush, Silenieks, Kildoo, Trainer, Gil and Ayers (6 runners) failed to match their junior year 3200m PR outdoors after sub 9:20 performances the previous spring. Joe Beveridge and Greg Kareis are amongst the only other runners to have similar misfortune.
18. After the outdoor AAA XC state champion won the 3200m outdoors at states in 2007, 2008 and 2009, Matt Fischer and Glenn Burkhardt (24th and DNQ for states in XC) have won the last two titles.
19. Outside of the big three conferences D1, D3 and D7, there are few runners to break the 9:20, 4:17 and 1:55 barriers. D12 and D11 tend to be the next two biggest as well as the independent league.
20. At outdoor states, Sam Havko doubled 1600m and 800m for the double gold, but is the only one in recent years to have accomplished the feat. Endress has medaled in both the past two years, but not won either. The 3200m-1600m double has not been accomplished in quite some time either.


That's all I got. I bet some of these I forgot someone, like I said I just did all this from memory so feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

Thanks boys, now go break the trend.

7 comments:

  1. You forgot the most important one!
    21. PA don't play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to end number 3

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did Magaha split 1:51.0? Looking at the schedule, there really would have been no point when he could have. Multiple sources had him at 1:52 high in the relay at an association meet, but that's about it. Am I right or am I missing some meet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magaha definitely did not split 1:51.0. Our team runs with his indoors and we would have seen it. There was one time that we did not attend a meet with them because we were running at another one, which is when multiple athletes and coaches split him at 1:52 high. I don't know where this 1:51.0 is coming from, maybe it was his very ambitious goal time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All the signs were there… In just under two weeks, I went from splitting a PR 1:51.0 800M on a flat track to being unable to finish a mile." - exact quote from Magaha's blog entry on penntrack. I personally don't believe that this ever happened, but it's what he said on the blog so I threw it out there with the "he claims he had" tag

      feel free to read for yourself: http://pa.milesplit.com/articles/72975-milesplit-journal-drew-magaha-upper-moreland-entry-7-april-6th-mononucleosis

      Delete
  5. Oh, we read it, but I still don't think that it is legitimate. there is no way there there was a 2 second lag time for all of the coaches and his coach...

    ReplyDelete