Search Engine

Workouts

So today was my first real workout back! Yay! Naturally of course I forgot that I can't eat the lunch of a prized farm pig and had 5 bowls of cereal, a bagel with half peanut butter, half cream cheese, and then a nice ice cream cone 2 hours out from my workout. Please, hold your applause. So obviously I was heading down a bad road. I puked after the workout, but not like a lot, just a tiny bit. Which sucks. If I had puked my brains out at least I would get it out of my system and feel better, but no, I had to run 15 minutes with the constant feeling of sickness.

And I loved every second of it.

I live for workouts. I occasionally enjoy the nice 12 mile long run but most of the time, I get bored, feel tired and crappy, and I have limited motivation. I like just getting on the track and doing something fast. Or sort of fast at the very least.

So, since I am once again desperate for any sort of post ideas I can get while I try and continue my posting streak, I figured I'd drop a little info on you about some of my favorite workouts I've done.

Now I will only reveal my favorite high school workouts because you never know with my college coach if he would appreciate me revealing all my training secrets (which isn't much I'll tell you that, but jut to be safe ....)

My favorite workouts are ones where you can just run fast. I like 200s in like 30s and then maybe dip down on the last couple. I'm not going to have sick workout times so don't judge the times, the fastest I have ever got down to in a 200 workout was a 25 and I was all out.

I like doing just straight 300s, like a bunch of them at a fairly controlled pace, 100m walk rest and then just do it again. I don't know why but 300s just don't seem too bad and I think they are kinda fun.

Another cool workout we did was 500s with a lift the last 100m straight away. It was an interesting workout, and any time I have an excuse to finish hard the last straightaway I jump on it. I always try to finish right with the guys in my group if we are all working together and hitting pace, because honestly I dislike pace pushers a lot, but if we are all going hard the final straightaway it's much more fun.

Now it's time for the last 2 workouts I want to talk about. The first one is what our coach called a mile simulation workout. Here's what it is (might be a little off on the rest):
800m, 2 minute rest
400m, 1 minute rest
200m, 30 seconds rest
200m

10 minutes

Do it all over again

You add up what you run for each part which will total 1600m of running. After each set you will have a total time for 1600m. You average the 2 sets together and get a 1600m time which will approximately equal the time you could run for 1600m in an ideal race condition with ideal competition.

It's a tough workout but satisfying afterwards.

The other workout is a 2x12x400m. You makes teams of two that you expect to be possibly even. Each runner runs 12 400s. The rest for each runner in between their 400s is his/her teammate's 400m. So basically the two of you alternate for 24 laps, and race each other team. It was a fun experience and we got dressed up and everything.

So yeah, workouts rock.

-train

1 comment: