Search Engine

XC State Champs: Relay Edition

So I was looking over the poll. I was a bit surprised to see LaSalle dominate the polls, obviously I like them, they have two 4:20 milers already this season and a nice 10:37 in flats. Now of course they may not even opt for the DMR, but let's assume things get interesting and everyone on the list does. This makes them a heavy favorite. Of course we have to watch for other. Other has more votes than Strath Haven and North Penn combined? The same amount of votes as Strath Haven, North Penn and PA #1 Holy Ghost Prep combined? I am not sure who this other is that everyone is voting for but please fill me in.

The biggest thing that surprises me is that North Penn has once again not gotten much preseason support. In cross country everyone was down on North Penn and heck I'll say it I gave up on them after Districts, but they are state champions. They know a little something about peaking and performing at the right time. O'Hara was the best cross country team in the state this year, no offense North Penn, and heck there were a few other teams just as good as North Penn BUT North Penn has the gold and everybody O'Hara and North Penn left with no team medals whatsoever.

So I had to start thinking, does the title of XC State Champs mean much when it comes to track? They are two very different animals, so does XC team success translate to relay success on the track?

Well here is what history tells us:


2007- Coatesville
Indoor DMR State Medalists (No Dawsons)
Penn Relays Champion DMR
All State, Sub 7:50 4x800m

2008- North Penn
Indoor State Meet Record, State Champions 4x800m
Indoor National Champions, Indoor State Record 4x800m
Runner Ups in Championship of America 4x800m
Outdoor State Champions 4x800m, Sub 7:40

2009- North Penn
Indoor State Meet Runner Up 4x800m
Penn Relays Championship of America Qualifiers 4x800m
Outdoor 4x800m 4th Place, Under 7:45

2010- Henderson
Indoor State Champion DMR
Championship of America Qualifiers 4x800m
Surprise DQ in 4x800m Trials at Districts (Returned 4 legs from a 7:42, Lefebure went on to run 1:51.0x and Kellar won the 1600m at States)

2011- North Allegheny
Indoor States DMR Finalists

2012- North Penn
???

1 comment:

  1. The "other" could be Chestnut Hill or O'Hara. If I'm correct, Wilson hit a 4:15 at one point so far this season? Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe that is what is getting everyone excited. As for O'Hara.....its O'Hara...they've got to have something good. Other possibilities could be Springdale, Penncrest, and CR North. Springdale has 2 pretty good guys. 4:30 low and 1:58 for O'Such and 4:28/2:01 for Magolone. Although, besides them I can't find anyone that could be a solid potental 1200. Penncrest has the Kazanjian bros. as well as Pat Miller. A couple guys running some decent times. Put them together and they could be halfway decent but I don't think they could be near a shot at being noticeable. As for CR North they've got some mention-worthy guys. Mac Emery, Jack Felt, James Zingarini are all solid runners (its so awesome how much access PTXC lets you have to these stats). Alhtough again, I don't see them doing much either. As I go through that list of possibilities I can't really see any one those 3 teams doing anything. However, Chestnut and O'Hara are probably the one's I'd be thinking of when looking at the "other" choice.

    ReplyDelete