Search Engine

Why Do You?

This post marks my 500th blog post.

To the average individual, running does not sound fun. There are always a few teams every year that create shirts that say: "Our sport is your sport's punishment" or something like that. Heck, I'd bet a lot of runners don't really think the idea of running sounds fun. Everyone faces that day where they wake up in the morning, roll out of bed, and fall over because their legs can't hold them up. Stairs are my worst enemy. I have two classes on the third floor of buildings. Which begs the question that I am sure each of us has been asked by that one kid in your 4th period gym class: "Why the (choose your favorite word here) do we run?"

But yet there is a huge world-wide community of serious runners. Flotrack is proof enough that a large conglomerate of people care about what we do. But the key to understanding a runner's mentality is being one. I'm sure that the girl who sits behind you and math and asks you what your mile time is probably won't understand why you choose to run. Especially when 6:50 is a good enough time to get a "Wow, that's amazing!" kind of response.

When you have been in the sport for a while, putting in the training day after day, you know what's legit. I remember when I would have been amazed by 6:50. Nowadays it takes about 3:50 to really get me impressed. Not that I could touch that with a ten foot pole.

And that's what I find so interesting. It takes so much from others to truly amaze me, to get a jaw-dropping time response, yet my abilities (and the abilities of most people who read this blog I have to imagine) are nothing like the abilities of these Olympic caliber 3:50 milers. But I get excited when I cut a half second off my 800m mark. Heck, I'd be ecstatic just to run within a second of PR right now. I don't need to be the best in the world to feel like world champion after a simple rinky-dink track meet at Moravian.

Because what is so great about this sport is that I as much as I am competing day in and day out against guys from different high schools and colleges and states and backgrounds, the one person I am always competing against is myself. Every race, even if I'm way out in front or way behind in the pack, ultimately, I will judge how well I ran based on one person: me.

And let's be honest, I hate losing to a lot of people, but the one person I hate losing to the most is myself.

So that's why I put myself through the hot summer long runs, through the 12x300m workouts, through the races I run with the hopes that afterwards I won't be able to stop puking for an hour. Runners are the ultimate competitors, not just with each other, but with ourselves. Nobody is settling for what they were in the past, just looking ahead to a faster future.

And this means anyone can respect another runner for their goals, regardless of if they are much faster or much slower. That is why there is such a comradeship, a brotherhood, within the sport. We have all bleed together in battle in hopes of bettering ourselves, perhaps the most noble reason to go to war. That is what brings us together and that is why I can't live without this sport.

I run because I know who I was, who I am, and who I one day want to be.

That is why I run.

Why do you?






It's championship season boys. Make something amazing happen.


12 comments:

  1. this was so inspiring im gonna go run quarters in the wind.

    -kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right, why do I run? I think I'm gonna email my coach telling him I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RUN FOREST CRN RUN...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running sucks just as much for state champions as it does for terrible runners. I run to be a part of the team, which we all know feels great, and to compete. I was lucky enough to meet Chris Derrick over the summer and he said something that is in my opinion the most inspirational quote ever, "Running is always going to suck. But when you want to win more than you want to stop, then you will succeed."

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there's one thing worse than running, it's being injured. Fml.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU ETRAIN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Dont quit.Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion. A lifetime of glory is worth a moment of pain."
    -Lou Zamperini

    Not many people have heard of Lou. Lou probably would have been the first person to break 4 minutes in the mile had he not been injured in World War II. He clocked a 4:06 indoor early in his life, but unfortunately, he joined the Army Air Corps to avoid being drafted when World War II broke out,and never really got his chance.

    This quote is why I run. Running is about suffering, and like Chris Derrick says, "it will always suck." But that is the greatest part of running. Putting yourself through hell and back for what? My favorite part of runnning is this. Obviously, when we run a race or a workout, we're expected to feel pain. But we don't let this pain stop us, in fact, we try to inflict more pain on ourselves, willing ourselves to go faster and farther.

    This forcing pain on yourself is not so much for your physical strength, but your mental and emotional strength. Miles and miles are gonna take more out of you mentally than physically, but this is what makes runners who we are. Runners are by far the most well rounded athletes, because of their minds, and that's why running is the best sport. Think to yourself what you'd be like, how different your life would be, if you never got into running. You wouldn't be able to recognize yourself.

    Next time your running and feeling pain, I want you to think of the quote above. That pain you feel is only going to last a short while, no matter how long it seems. But if you just deal with it and not let it get to your HEAD, then you will cherish the results forever. After all, when we feel pain, it isn't our body that slows us down, it's our mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright! Some Zamperini love. You can tell this is a true distance runners blog.

      Delete
  8. Runners are all secretly emo kids, just without the whiny attitdue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a ton of good reasons to be a runner but the stupid conversations with teammates between intervals on a track workout are some of the most enjoyable times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it's a bit early and we'll know for sure on Sunday night, but how about a little speculation about who's running what at States:
    Mile-Stone, James and Leidel don't enter-That puts up to Zingarini in fast heat. Of course that could change based on this weekend and PSU tonight.
    3k-Scratches drop it to 15(Coyle and the 2 GFS guys). That means if you don't run the time, you don't get in. A bunch of guys are knocking on the door.
    4 x 8:
    Pennsbury
    Henderson
    O'Hara
    DTE
    Penncrest
    Bensalem
    Council Rock South
    North Penn
    Sprigfield Delco
    St. Joe's Prep
    DMR
    LaSalle
    Downingtown West
    Council Rock North
    Bonner
    Strath Haven
    CB East
    GFS
    Upper Dublin
    WCE
    Great Valley
    Cumberland Valley
    State College-Assuming those teams qualify tonight.

    LaSalle-clearly the class of the field in the DMR-GFS could get up for 2nd off the mile double for Wistar and Aziz. They're always in the mix in that race.

    4 x 8 should be a great race between Pennsbury, WCH and Bensalem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YA ETRAIN! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO! GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete