Search Engine

State Championship Predictions: AAA 800m

Somehow I feel like I've managed to not make the same title style for any of these predictions. Hmm. Anyway, let's get right down to business in the always compelling AAA 800m race. What do I want to do with this race? There are a lot of compelling story lines here. If this field was assembled at a post season meet where all could run fresh, we could realistically see a 1:50 or under time. At states, I'm not counting on it. But that being said I still think things will be competitive and fast.

Out of heat 1, I think our finalists will be Jeff Wiseman, Andrew Stone, Zach Brehm and Dave Garton. Wiseman with no issue here, his kick is phenomenal and the season he has had leaves no doubt in my mind that he will get through. Stone has not been as strong as he was a year ago in my mind, keeping a relatively low profile, but I think Stone is hungry for a state title and gets through. No one is talking about him at all including myself and how a guy with his credentials has been essentially forgotten from the discussion is beyond me. Brehm should get in. Normally I would doubt a sophomore's abilities to double at the state meet but I think last weekend he showed everyone how strong he was. He qualified for the finals last year as a freshman when I doubted him and I haven't forgotten. Lastly I like Garton to sneak up and surprise. Without having to swing 4x8 duties I think he will be a lot stronger and ready to sneak up and get in to the final with a capital Q next to his name.

In heat 2, I think the finalists will likely be Joe Logue, Alec Kunzweiler, Alex Nole and Steve Yannacone. This heat is softer to me than the previous heat and if a sleeper is going to come from somewhere I think it is this heat. I'm not huge on the D7 800m guys as you can tell from my predictions. I don't know why, those guys have been solid throughout the year, but the D1 guys have big race experience and great kicks. Logue and Yannacone have proven themselves. Kunzweiler has been money this year and if necessary he will run 1:52 in the prelims and make finals. Last year he ran 1:53ish and it didn't phase him for day 2. Nole is the wildcard here out of D2. He has run 1:54 and soloed a 1:55 last weekend to win extremely easily so I like his upside against some of the doubling guys like Becich, Caldwell, Jaskowak and Cox-Finn.

The at large guys in my mind will be Brad Rivera, Dylin Wilhoite, Sean Gipson, and Matt Sankey.
Its hard for me to pick just 4 guys looking down this list. Smith, Mazzanti, and Culley are all quality guys that I think will be left off the finalists list. Rivera I'm counting on slipping in, he was the indoor state champ after all. Wilhoite has won a lot of big D7 meets, now the only question is can he do it against the big names in D1. I hesitantly stick him through. Gipson ran a quality 1:55 last weekend seemingly out of nowhere. I'm hoping that's a Drew Gerberich type performance. Gerberich dropped to 1:55 out of nowhere and then 1:53 at states. Is Gipson are Gerberich that I asked about at the very beginning of the season? Sankey is strong as well and dropping the 16 should be a smart move.

Guys left out of the finals in this scenario would include Magee, Culley, Smith, Mizzanti, Jaskowak, Caldwell, Cox-Finn, Smail, Sullivan, Coburn, Hunter, Stelly and Becich. Wow. Great field of guys and will definitely be a great final.

In the final, we will see a battle between stud Alec Kunzweiler and the field. I'm a huge Kunzweiler fan and if he was running fresh he would be my pick. But I think that Kunzweiler will have to run very hard in the relay, maybe a sub 1:50 split to give his team a gold, and so when he is closing down the last 100m of this open 8, I think Jeff Wiseman will put on his kick that he has unleashed all year and surprise Kunzweiler to take down to a gold. I think Andrew Stone is a huge sleeper here. He has a lot of talent and if he is ready for this meet, which the LaSalle boys usually are, he could use his fresh legs to his advantage. Brehm is clearly a stud and he will follow Kunzweiler like a hawk in this race. If he isn't too tired from a busy weekend last weekend, he will sneak into the top group.

I'm not sure where to place Joe Logue. I thought his kick would be good enough to compete with Wiseman, but he didn't put himself up front early enough to mix it up at the finish. The nice thing is, this will be the closest thing to a Henderson Invite repeat Logue will see: a fast pace with lots of quality guys to do the work and then try to kick. Logue's best open time before his 1:51 last year was just 1:54. Rivera is the indoor state champ and has medaled in the 8 before. But likely Rivera is going to be leading this race or pushing the pace and on tired legs that could be his undoing. Yannacone was the D1 champ a year ago. I'm not sure if he is as fit as last year but he surprised me in a competitive D1 race so he could surprise me again here, but I'm not going big with him.

In a race like this, it's going to be a free for all for the final medal spots, especially considering it's going to be a free for all for the final finalists spots. My bet is that something like 5th and 10th will be within the same second or so.

Here's how I think it plays out
1. Wiseman 1:51
2. Kunzweiler 1:52
3. Logue 1:52
4. Stone 1:53
5. Brehm 1:53
6. Nole 1:53
7. Gipson 1:54
8. Yannacone 1:54
9. Rivera 1:54
10. Garton 1:54
11. Sankey 1:54
12. Wilhoite 1:55

That's it for my predictions! Leave your own and comment away, just try not to be too harsh with one another, I don't want to have to delete comments.

12 comments:

  1. 1. Wiseman 1:49.8
    2. Stone 1:51.0
    3. Kunzweiler 1:51.3
    4. Logue 1:51.5
    5. Rivera 1:52.1
    6. Brehm 1:52.8
    7. Yannacone 1:54.5
    8. Wilhoite 1:54.7
    9. Nole 1:55.0
    10. Becich 1:55.5
    11. Jaskowak 1:55.8
    12. Garton 1:56.0

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Kunzweiler 1:50.9
    2. Stone 1:51.8
    3. Logue 1:52.3
    4. Brehm 1:52.7
    5. Wiseman 1:52.9
    6. Rivera 1:53.8
    7. Yannacone 1:53.9
    8. Cox-Finn 1:54.5
    9. Nole 1:55.1
    10. Wilhoite 1:55.7
    11. Jaskowak 1:55.8
    12. Coburn 1:56.0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with your thoughts on Rivera. The guy is a tank and the Bensalem kids are built to double and triple. He made finals as a SO and he runs the open 800 better than he runs relays, he's got that killer instinct, but that being said: Kunzweiler is the same way and is better than Rivera.
    I think the first heat is very similar to what happened at District 1 this past weekend-- Wiseman and Rivera in a heat together. I bet they're already planning going out slow (they went out in 58.5 at districts in the heat rounds), cause like Wiseman said in his interview, it's all about getting through. I bet the two of them take it out slow, and Stone/Brehm are smart enough to realize that they don't need to go hard early on. I think Wiseman, Rivera, Brehm, and Stone get the Q's in 1:56 low, and Garton will be right there and get the only q spot out of the group.

    The other heat will be faster, a lot of guys will see the possibility of getting in and Kunzweiler was 1:53 Q last year and he's always ready to roll. I wouldn't be shocked if 3 q's come from this heat.

    In the finals I bet it gets taken out in 54 low if not 53 high. Rivera will go for it, as will Wiseman and this fast pace should benefit strength runners such as Brehm, Stone, Kunzweiler, Yannacone, and Nole. It's a shame that so many guys will be doubling, but I don't see why Brehm is being doubted. The guy is a horse.

    1. Kunzweiler - 1:51.43
    2. Brehm - 1:51.47
    3. Rivera - 1:52.08
    4. Wiseman - 1:52.22
    5. Stone - 1:52.32
    6. Logue - 1:52.88
    7. Nole - 1:53.56
    8. Wilhoite - 1:53.91


    I think is Logue puts himself in this race (top 4) at the beginning he can win it with a 1:50.9ish. He's got a ton of talent, but he doesn't seem to get in the races early. The 4x4 trials seem to wear on him. I do expect him to win the distance festival 800 if he choices to run it.


    --ForrestCRN

    ReplyDelete
  4. so etrain are there any kids that you think could be sleepers and find there way into the final

    ReplyDelete
  5. 800 finalists: Heat 1: Brehm, Wiseman, Stone, Rivera
    Heat 2: Kunzweiler, Logue, Yannacone, Nole
    Final 4: Garton, Sankey, Cox-Finn, Stelly

    Finals: Kunzweiler pushes the pace through 400 in around 53, Rivera and Cox-Finn try to sit on Kunzweiler's shoulder to renew the rivalry that will occur from the 4x800 in the morning. Logue will sit near the back with Stelly, Garton and Sankey. Nole, Yannacone, Brehm, Stone, and Wiseman will be right behind the top group and go through in 54.5. The front group starts to return to the peloton as Brehm, Wiseman, Logue and Stone push from 500-600. Kunzweiler holds up much better than the Bensalem boys and holds the lead through 750 but gets caught by Brehm and Wiseman. Stone and Logue fight for 4-5 right behind Kunzweiler. Wiseman and Brehm finish in a photo finish as both go for their first state gold.

    Finals:
    1. Brehm 1.50.68
    2. Wiseman 1.50.75
    3. Kunzweiler 1.51.10
    4. Stone 1.51.93
    5. Logue 1.52.00
    6. Yannacone 1.53.53
    7. Rivera 1.53.69
    8. Nole 1.54.13
    9. Cox-Finn 1.54.90
    10. Sankey 1.54.94
    11. Stelly 1.55.00
    12. Garton 1.55.33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that your biased or anything ;-).

      Delete
    2. He is, but I agree that his is a major possibility. I could be over hyping Brehm, but I think he could surpass Mallon and Magaha if he keeps it up. Mallon was a 1:52 SO and Magaha was 4:15 or 4:16 as a SO. Brehm has 4:13 to his name and the potential to run 1:51 or even 1:50 in my opinion. The kid is a horse and an even pace of 54/55 into a 56 is do-able for him. Don't mean to put pressure on the guy, I hope he keeps enjoying the sport and runs fast because of it. It's great to see such a talented SO/JR classes for the future of PA running.

      --ForrestCRN

      As for the SR class I really hope Shearn and Galassi go after it since I think they both have sub 9 capabilities.

      Delete
    3. Definitely agree with you Forrest, I was just teasing Sean a little bit.

      Delete
    4. I'm not exactly sure who's teasing me, but I agree, I am biased. And teasing is fine. But just like any teammate, I believe in the abilities of my teammate. There is nothing more concerning than not receiving the backing of your friends and teammates. I believe in his ability and I look forward to watching him try to win a state title.
      Good luck to all

      Delete
  6. My opinion is a bit different from the rest of you. Judging by indoor states this year and outdoor states last year, I say that Rivera takes it out in 53 high and Kunzweiler, Logue, Cox-Finn, Stone, Wiseman, and Brehm all behind in 54 mid. The rest of the pack coming through in 55/56. At 300 Logue makes a big move taking Kunzweiler, Stone, Wiseman, and Brehm with him, Cox-Fin stays back a little. At 200 Rivera makes his final move to try and keep the lead and when they reach the final 100 the order is: Rivera, Logue, Wiseman, Kunzweiler, Stone. Yannacone, Nole, Cox-Fin, and Garton leading the chase pack. I say it's a battle between Logue, Wiseman, and Kunzweiler for first in a close finish.

    Finals:
    1. Wiseman 1:51.1
    2. Logue- 1:51.7
    3. Kunzweiler- 1:51.9
    4. Brehm- 1:52.1
    5. Stone- 1:52.3
    6. Rivera- 1:52.9
    7. Yannacone- 1:53.5
    8. Cox-Finn- 1:54.5

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying Brehm runs like 11 flat for the last 100m to get 4th? Or did you forget him :)

      Again, I agree this could totally happen. This race has a lot of potential and could go so many different ways!

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete
  7. Just kidding Kunzweiler is gonna win

    ReplyDelete