Search Engine

Brett Favre

This year was an interesting year for me on the whole. When the State Championships ended and the graduation season begins, the last of those who I ran with high school will have moved on. Everyone who is left was a freshman when I was a freshman ... in college. Maybe that was my first signal that it was time to hang it up.

The great thing about following this sport is someone new comes along every year with talent and potential to claim a state title. This year everyone from Tony Russell to Max Norris to Ethan Martin played that role. Next year's class of runners may be the best the state has ever seen, but if I wait around long enough someone new will always come along that is exciting and fun to watch that makes you want to stick around.

I've always loved blogging about this. Ever since I first took my dad's penntrack account and started posting, I knew that this was something I was passionate about. I never dreamed that a few posts on penntrack would grow into a blog that has captured over 400,000 views and won me a surprising amount of recognition and friendships. This blog has never been about money, it was never a job to me, it was fun, it was what I wanted to do and where I felt like I belonged. 

This blog has always been about more than me. I love when people say that I motivated them to be better and to prove me wrong, but that wasn't me, that was the competitiveness and determination of the athlete. My posts and my analysis are the things people can easily notice on the blog, but what you have to click and search for are the comments. The comments have always made this blog what it is. My words are more of a prompt to stir up the pot of the commentators out there. You all have made this blog special and powerful and I hope that when it is gone, you will continue to find ways to keep the discussion going and promote this sport that I have grown up with.

I haven't really seen to many HS XC or track races in person in the past 3 years since going to Muhlenberg College. It was very ironic to me that my blog didn't really get popular until I had graduated and been to school. I guess that's how artists feel when their work only becomes popular after their death. I guess that was probably a bit dramatic, but ...

It would be easy to keep going, put down the occasional post, slowly lose touch with who is out there and who is a strong runner and slowly lose quality in my posts and predictions and analysis. But I don't want to go out like that. I don't want to hang around past my prime or past my time. I don't want to be that awkwardly to old creepy guy at the meets.

If this was a job or something I was hired to do I would maybe feel differently about this all, but I think as simply a hobby, the time has come to stop being a blogger and an analyst for this level of sport.

I would love to go on and stay in the sport one day as either a coach or a writer for penntrack or dyestat or some other site, that would be a great job. But more likely I will end up as just another past runner or forum poster. I'm a math and economics double major at school. I'm doing work at Columbia this summer in Biostatistics and may go to graduate school for that. I also have taken the first actuarial exam and am considering entering that profession. 

It's odd to think that one of those careers is likely where I will be five years from now. Completely unconnected to this blog and to the high school track scene. The etrain name will likely disappear into obscurity and I'll just be back to Jarrett Felix.

But running will never leave my life. I will always be a runner, have a runner's personality, determination and work ethic. The girl I want to marry some day in the future is a runner and I would love for our children to pick up the sport because I feel it is a fantastic sport (no pressure though). My best friends are from running and my life would be so dramatically different if I had never stumbled upon penntrackxc for the first time so many years ago.

And I will likely never completely stop following the high school scene. I'll always be flipping around the results, maybe commenting somewhere anonymously or something like that. I could never stay away from this sport forever, any one who knows me at all knows that.

And maybe for that reason, you could see me again one day blogging. Maybe I won't be able to stay away. Maybe I will be another Brett Favre.

But for now, I am officially retiring from posting on this blog. It has been an amazing ride and I thank you all so much for what you have given me. This has been one of the coolest experiences of my life and I will never forget it.

Thank you so much. 

-train



And now etrain is gone and Jarrett Felix returns.

24 comments:

  1. thanks etrain. you tha bomb and your coverage tops anyone else's in the game. turning the sport of track into something that is exciting and consumable.
    -br

    ReplyDelete
  2. Etrain, thank you for your amazing blog, its sad to see you go. You had the best coverage out of anyone. loved your stuff.

    -TR

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the reason I started RTJ. I would see your comments all over and want to know half of the knowledge that you had. With trying to be like you blogging, analyzing different runners and strategies, I became a better runner myself. I understand completely why you're ending it, but I hate it. I wish you the best man. If you ever do come back, we will all be here waiting. Much respect man, I wish you the best.

    I hope someone carries on a blog for people to talk, argue, etc. Where you at RJJL or Forrest?

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Etrain, you will be missed. You got me into this and got me excited to come to Muhlenberg. I'm glad to call you, Jarrett Felix, my friend, teammate, and captain. You were and always will be the best in the PA blogging business.

    Thank you for everything you have given us as runners.

    --ForrestCRN

    P.S. RJJL, if you wish to share you identity with me my e-mail is fk246898@muhlenberg.edu Your secret will be safe with me

    ReplyDelete
  5. etrain, don't be a Favre, but do what you are called to do. Muehlenberg's a great school and you'll do well 'out there.' Always let running be a part of what you do 'out there.' I think we follow HS track and cross because certainly we did it, and can identify with the training, highs and lows, and the lessons we learn that point us well down the road all through life. Some of my best friends are people I ran with in HS 40 yrs ago. Best of luck--your passion for doing this will serve you well in whatever you do.--sverige55

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your blog and everything you have done for me by seeing what you say and trying to prove you wrong with some predictions. you should do one last review of states as a final goodbye to the blogging world. idk i think it would be cool to see one last one from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the beginning of this year I had no idea who or what etrains blog was but it turned into a house hold name between my dad and I. Your coverage, previews, and stats were like nothing other in the state of Pennsylvania. You made the already fun sport even more fun. It's sad to see my daily read go but I'm sure you will have success in whatever you end up pursuing.

    Much love,

    Joey Logue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surely this blog will be missed in the coming years, but as we all know etrain will never be truly gone. Your spirit will be carried on by the runners you have affected and that is what this sport is about, passing on the knowledge you've learned in your career to the next generation of runners. All of the PA runners wish you the best in your life as Jarrett Felix, but will forever be remembered as the most knowledgable man in PA track/XC history.
    You will surely be missed.
    -Carlisle HS XC/Track

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been awesome reading your blog and especially meeting you in person at xc states. Thanks for giving my teammates and I something to motivate us.

    -Will McDermott

    ReplyDelete
  10. Etrain,
    Thanks for all the coverage and for giving us some extra motivation to do well. Best wishes as you move on and become Jarrett Felix again.

    -CBG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Etrain,
    Thank you very much for helping to fuel my love for track and field over the past few years. It will take some getting used to as I won't be able to read the train anymore, but I wish you the best as you move on in life.

    Thank you,
    Mt. Lebanon XC/Track

    #KeepCalmandTrainOn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Etrain, say it ain’t so!

    I’ll be sorry to see you go, your work here is fantastic. This blog was absolutely perfect. You did such a great job on every post explaining the meets, the races, race strategies, options, the favorites, the underdogs, the unknown guys etc. etc. This was a huge benefit for the non-runners such as friends/parents, and young runners who don’t really know all the nuances of the sport. You’ve been a great advocate for distance running and many a kid considered it an achievement just to be mentioned on Etrain!

    Then there was the benefit of the comment section which has been a terrific place to pick up info or just kick things around with others who are really into it. It’s been awesome for running freaks like me to throw our enthusiasm or two cents into a discussion and to make predictions. There’s been plenty of spirited discussions, a lot of humor and a lot of fun.

    But in my opinion your best work has been your signature of ‘stay classy’. You’ve always kept this blog very positive, which is in-line with perhaps the top attribute of the sport. I mean that very sincerely because it’s often a fine line to avoid hurting feelings when picking one runner over another, or discussing results without criticizing. Yet you’ve done that so well and always very classy. You’ve shown wonderful character and have set a great example for all.

    I understand your reasons for wrapping it up and it makes total sense. An actuary with a personality.....that’s a winning combination that should guarantee success!

    Now I’m going to excuse myself before I get emotional!

    Thanks for the everything and to quote you – “Stay classy!”

    -RJJL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. considering this is the last post any chance we find out who the man (or woman) behind RJJL is?

      Delete
  13. Etrain.

    This is BS. You're going to leave the previews of States, etc. to Aaron Rich. You've got to be kidding me. Once you start something, you can't just quit because you're too "busy". You're a better man then that. And, as someone said earlier, how can you quit before a good review of States and a preview of the PA Distance Festival?

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that you have just retired today and some people may be upset that I have begun this already but I don't want the discussion on PA running to die. I have started my own blog not to opposed or to replace yours etrain but more to honor yours. If you would like to see it the link is http://padontplay.blogspot.com/ I hope that you can trust me with the future of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comment. RTJ, ForestCRN and RJJL please read this and my comment on this blog. I think you 3 and this guy would do great things together.

      Delete
  15. I predict that a blog will be up by July, but I can't predict who it will be from. Judging by the people of this blog I'd assume a dominant blog will come up soon and I'd like to think the conversation will be solid. In about a month we will have an idea on what to do. This blog is great and an excellent source for me to procrastinate doing homework.

    RJJL... I'm going to talk to Forrest, but if he wants to set up a blog (or just use this one still) I think he'd love to have you. I believe that's why he asked for your identity.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RTJ/Forrest - thanks for the thought but I'm really not Etrain material. If you guys keep it going I'm sure you'll do a great job since you are both very knowledgable. I'll still be following running and would be sure to chime in on discussions in the comments. -RJJL

      Delete
    2. I don't think any of us are Etrain material, but I understand. We still are unsure of what is happening, but we will see.

      -RTJ

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the response RJJL :)

      And it's all speculation right now. Really got to see after I get back from Spain if I want to attempt to do this.

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete
  16. Thanks for all your dedication to our truly great and special sport. You and your blog will be greatly missed by all of us. I stumbled upon this blog last year when I googled something about drew magaha because I saw he wasn't running at meet of champs. Since then its become a habit to check in every day and see whats going on in the PA track/xc world. I hate to see such a great thing come to and end, but I wish you the best of luck with college and your future career and everything. And I hope someone will try to follow in your footsteps to give us track kids something to read! Anyway, good luck and thanks for everything.

    - Joe Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to see you go etrain. You had a great run on this blog and I enjoyed reading it whether you picked me to be first or last. Best of luck and thanks for making running even more special

    -Connor Harriman

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really don't remember how I first stumbled upon this blog but it was great decision to follow it once I realized what you had to offer. Etrain, you will be missed and best of luck in your next stages of life.

    On another note, it looks like http://padontplay.blogspot.com/ will be the replacement for this current blog so everyone head on over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete