Search Engine

States- Barrett Kemp

First off, congratulations to Brendan and everybody else for running one hell of a race. States is always an exciting experience, but to go into it knowing many of the top runners in the state as friends made it even more incredible. Running against people you don't know is one thing, wanting to race the hell out of people you love and respect is something else entirely.

This was really my first true State race; a year ago I ran through the season with a leg infection and the year before that I overexerted myself and went into the end-season exhausted. This year I tried to play all of my cards right -- I trained hard, ate well and slept more than enough. Going into the race I was expecting nothing less than top 10, truth be told I had high hopes for first, second, or third. I placed thirteenth. And not to sound conceited, but that performance disappointed me. The experience was still thrilling, but I just didn't run the race I knew I could. You know what that's like.

The first half of the race played out exactly as I planned -- I led on and off through to the Aloha Hills, pacing the race's first mile at ~4:50. But as we hit that first hill, I lost my breath and my chest started to seize in a kind of heartburn-like feeling. Not to make excuses, but my body didn't want me to go on like I was. From that point on it was a fierce battle to keep going, and even though I fell short of my goal I'm still proud of fighting through the course. And thanks to the guy who, as he passed me, said, "C'mon man, you can do this." It's that kind of kindred spirit that makes me love everything about running.

Can't wait to see you guys at track States, I'll be looking for you in the two-mile. You're all beasts.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Barry!

    You had a phenomenal race and, like nearly every other medalist, will be a returning senior. I can't wait to cheer you on in track season, and proudly announce 'that's my twin'!

    ReplyDelete