Search Engine

States- Ned Wilig

I would first like to start by congratulating Conner Quinn, Brendan Shearn, Meghan McGovern and Angel Piccirillo on their victories. They are all great kids and are very deserving of a state title.

For me, the thrill of cross-country has always been team-oriented. Any success I had personally is a result of the team and my coaches. Our team had a great season. While there were many ups and downs, we meshed together to have strong championship performances. Our best race by far was Districts last week. We struggled on the Hershey course and did not have our best performance. We did better than last year, and I am sure the team will do even better next year. It was a fun season and a nice way to finish off high school cross-country. I am very proud of the Great Valley team and want to thank them for being so supportive these past four years.

While I am very happy that I finished in the top 10 at States, it was not my smartest race. I was nearly in dead last at the first turn (300 meters in). Somehow I managed to make my way up to 64th by the first mile. I worked the hills and made it into the top 30 by mile two. I was in the top 20 with 800 to go and passed the remaining 11 guys in the last 400 meters. My whole team got out too slow and Matt had to pause to fix his shoe so we didn’t have our best day.

There are many complaints I have about the course, especially with regards to safety and maneuverability, but it would really be beating a dead horse. My advice to runners who qualify for States and are subjected to run the Hershey course is this: If you want any chance at placing high, you HAVE to sprint the first 400 meters. By the time there is room to really catch people it is too late. It took me four years running the course to learn that. I sincerely hope the PIAA changes the location of the State Championships, because Hershey Park is far from the ideal place to host a high-caliber cross-country race.

States was my last race for high school cross-country and I am extremely proud to have medalled. It was a great way to finish up my four years of cross country.
My indoor track season is going to revolve around the Distance Medley Relay. Our team has high expectations for the season, and I believe we have the potential to be really competitive at States.

Good luck to everyone competing at Footlockers and NXN!

-Ned Willig

No comments:

Post a Comment