Search Engine

District One Preview

So I was thinking about and I decided I could either go all out on this and really deliver for my fans or I could basically cop out and study for math stat test tomorrow and count my money that I have officially made. Well folks it was almost the first one when I just posted up a list of projected places, but I mean cmon, I'm etrain, I gotta committ, especially to the thing I probably know best, District One running.

So here we go, were looking at an intereting team battle here for starters. Not saying that I'm not on the Henderson winning bandwagon, because I am, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see North Penn swing the upset. Davis can definitely run better than he did at leagues, and this team on the whole exploded at this meet a year ago. Henderson is deeper through 5, much deeper through 5, than any other team is, but North Penn can definitely mix it up. Great Valley also a great team, especially if the Willig's stay hot at this meet and the team doesn't do what they did last time they were at Lehigh. No offense.

CR North consistently makes states, so very hard for me to pick against them, especially after a solid leagues race. Not extremely deep on the guys side team wise, but I've always like HGPrep this season and Israel is on my sleepers list this season. So those are my 5 teams. Pennsbury is the big surprise to mix it up in here, Haverford doesn't seem to have the fire power out front but maybe they will surprise me. Pennsbury has a huge sleeper in their freshman Webb, and Harriman has the potentail to be a top 10 guy which is always nice to have out front.

On to the individuals. Its tough not to pick Magaha, its his kind of course, he's running great, he's been hot at the right time, and oh yeah he can run 4:07 in the mile. So I've got Drew, depending on course conditions and how the race plays out he can scare 15:20. Hibbs for second, we shall see how it ends up because he has been throwing up lots of red flags as of late, but I trust his experience and gamerness to pull it out. Max Norris for District Champion? Nah I'm not that bold, but that kid has been running smart and fast, could be dangerous if Hibbs isn't the Hibbs we thought he was. Quinn obviously had a great race last week, and really only Magaha is hotter than him at this point. Yeah that could have sent the wrong impression, but don't read too much into it boys. Quinn bombed last year at Districts so let's hope this stage isn't too scary for him again.

Willig is a great kid and a great guy who I always have thought has the potential to run out of his mind this XC season. But I also was convinced he'd scare 9 minutes in the two mile rather than flipping it on me and running 1:51 three times. So here's the thing, that combined with the memory of Paul Short still fresh in my head just scares me too much to go higher than 5, but Ned please run fast so I can start bragging that I have met you. That is all.

Jacky Mac is looking way too much like he did last year coming into this meet when he surprised everybody and took home 11th and led North Penn to second place. No reason to think things are different at this point. Can't sleep on Brett Kelly. He's a state medalist last year, top 10 at Districts the past two years, and oh yeah he goes to the same school that Jason Weller and Mark Dennin went to. Put away your pillows boys.

Like I said Israel is my big sleeper this year so I'm high on him for this race. Harriman certainly has shown flashes of brilliance, lets hope lightening strikes again for the youngster. (I suppose he's a Jr so he's not that young but I'm in college now so you guys are all youngsters.) Russell is easy, how can a Henderson guy not be in the top 10? That's like saying Oprah won't be in the top 10 for richest women in the world.

At 11, perhaps a homer pick but I'm a huge Francis Ferruzzi fan, he's not just my neighbor but he also is a 9:36 two miler who will appreciate the chance to run in a race where his two choices are Drew Magaha (15:50) and Sam Brooks (16:50). Go get em kid.

About to skip around now a little bit (no offense to the next couple guys but I think its kinda obvious why I have a Henderson, North Penn and CR North guy in my top 15) here's the sleeper picks you want to remember on race day.

Pete Downs (finally showing the potential I thought he would show at Viking. Trad etrain being way to early on people), Jack Huemmler (maybe I'm making too much out of DELCOs, but I hope not), Ian Yankuso (who? Exactly, they are killed sleepers for a reason people), Sam Webb (if Kevin Kelly thinks the guy is gonna have a big race, how can I not think so), and Joesph O'Such (great at Paul Short, not so much anywhere else, lucky for him, Districts is a lot like Paul Short).

So there you go gents, hope you enjoy this little preview and good luck to all the D1 guys.

-train

1 comment:

  1. Do u believe etrain nails the five teams that qualify to states and the individual champ. Nuff said

    ReplyDelete