Search Engine

Alright Folks

So I've had a couple of comments recently about my own running and how it relates to my blog. Look folks, I'm not on the same level of these guys I talk about and I've never tried to pretend I was. I put up my opinions about track and field. I have gotten 20,000 views so far in May so I figured people care about what I have to say. If you don't, you don't have to read, I assure you. I spend a year period where I never had more than 2,000 views in a month so I'm not doing this for views. I almost had 2,000 yesterday alone. I haven't made a single penny of this blog. My google adsense account was shut down before I got my first check because I clicked on my own ads and violated the adsense contract. So I'm not doing this for money. I do this because I love the sport and I hope you do to.

I'm not offended by most criticisms honestly. I'm 20 years old, and I know that I am not perfect and know there are things on the blog I can improve. I have been following track and field in PA closely since my sophomore year in high school. I certainly have some experience and I know a lot of stats but I am not, nor have I ever tried to imply, that I am a wise, sage-like, old student of the game.

On the blog, I'm not going to just give everyone high fives and congratulations all the time. Anyone can do that. I analyze races and runners to the best of my ability and do my best not to come off as offensive or judgmental. Not everyone has a good race everyday and I try not to be too harsh on those guys because I have been there too. But doing what I do means I'm going to say some people are better than others and that means people may take offense from what I am writing. I assure you, I don't mean to offend anyone with what I am writing. You can read what I say and be offended, or, as I hope most of you by the age of high school have learned, you can use it as motivation to go out and prove me wrong. If I say you are going to lose or not going to make states, it doesn't affect your ability to go out and do it at all.

Lastly I'll just figure I'll throw this out there for the record because a few people have mentioned it recently. These are my running PRs:
51.66
1:58.94
4:10.04 for 1500
9:17 for 3k
28:05 for 8k

in high school I ran
51.9 split
1:59.8 split
4:41 for 1600
10:23 for 3200
17:05 for 5k

I am a mid-distance, track guy.

I am not as good, nor have I been as good, as essentially all the runners I talk about on the blog. If that means you can't respect my opinions, that is perfectly fine, I encourage you to go somewhere else. I am perfectly comfortable with who I am as a runner. Like everybody else, I train hard and work my best to try and get to new PRs by the end of the season. I don't care if you think I'm slow because I don't run so that people will tell me how awesome I am on a blog. And I certainly don't put people down on my blog so that I'll feel better about my own running achievements.  Not much makes me upset, but I take offense to comments like that.

So now you know me. I have done my best to operate this blog respectively, carefully, and effectively. I have never intentionally taken shots at anyone on my blog, or insulted people intentionally or used any type of insulting language or attacking tone that I know of. Personally, to me it doesn't matter if you run 2:10 or 1:40, as long as you know what you're talking about I respect your opinion. If it matters to you, now you know and you can peace off the blog.

Haters gotta hate.

-train

12 comments:

  1. I love you train, you give us quality insight on PA running which doesn't usually get as much talk as some other sports. You give credit where credit is due and where it is not you don't ever go out of your way to put someone down. I respect all of your opinions and love what your doing for the sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment! Couldn't have said it any better. I love you too etrain!!

      Delete
    2. Heh, my son just graduated (Ryun Holder). My daughter has 2 years to go. No interest in starting a girls version? I will go through withdraw. You do great work.

      Greg Holder

      Delete
  2. Train got up on the wrong side of the bed today..

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Train
    http://www.beinggirl.com/products/tampax/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's not make this letsrun. It's your choice to read the blog, thank etrain for doing this out of his free time. Don't ridicule him. If you don't like what he's saying, don't read it. Simple enough. I'm behind you 100% jarrett.

      Coyle

      Delete
    2. Congrats on the win, Coyle. You looked really strong man.

      Delete
  4. Etrain,

    I would like to blogglically (publicly) apologize for the harsh personal attacks I made on you yesterday. I was furious about other circumstances and In my anger/rage I said things that were hurtful and probably untrue. That being Said I would still like to know what criterion you use when you label someone a XC guy v Track guy? and the Foot speed thing just doesnt fly with me. I guess its just a battle of Semantics for me....because you like to label mid distance runners as track guys and distance runners as XC guys....and maybe I just dont see it that way. Now sure I come off looking like a complete ass, Ive alienated Brendan and now some "anonymous" guy called me a drunk and a troll...so my stock here is pretty low...but that is the beauty of it all...In the long run it doesnt really matter what anyone thinks. I have been Loved and Hated by many. Your blog will go on, your opinion and analysis will continue....circle of life stuff....Will I have grown from reading words and writing my own here...probably not.....But good luck to you in all your endeavors. Sorry for the kick in to chops! Carry on

    Bill Shearn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point is this, let's look at say Sam Hibbs. Hibbs ran 9:08, 4:15 and 1:57 on the track. His XC performances this year were less impressive than these. Therefore it is logical to think of him as a track guy. Look at somebody like Ian Barnhill. Solid in XC, but a 9:15 2 miler. Track guy. Then you look at some of these other top guys in XC. Conner Quinn beat the entire state over 5k. But then he came back on the track and ran just 9:19 while Jack Macauley was 17th but he ran 9:15. One is historically better on trails, the other on the track. Cross guy, track guy.

      In Brendan's case, it's not that he is bad at track. He ran 9:15 that is obviously a great time. But he is better longer, like over the 5k distance, as exhibited by his indoor 5k this year and his 5k at Henderson last year. And I know that he didn't have the chance to run a fast mile or 800 but the fact of the matter is he has not run a fast mile or 800 and until the day comes he can not be considered a track guy. It doesn't mean he is bad at track, it just means he is better at XC. The best 2 milers on the track are not all strength, they also have 1:57 speed. Centrowitz is one of the best guys over 2 miles ever in high school. I'm sure he had 1:51 speed. Jon Trueman last year won the 3200m for AA because he had a solid kick and is a track guy more than a cross guy. Matt Fischer was solid in XC but he ran 9:03 for 3200m because he had foot speed and is a track guy more so than a cross guy. I could go on, but I'm hoping that my point come's across.

      On the track he was a top 5 guy in the 3200m for sure, but he didn't run 9:15 because he can run 4:15, he ran 9:15 because he can run 15:00. That's what I'm trying to say. I encourage him to go out and run 4:15, but there is a reason he chose to enter the 5k at Henderson in the past and not the mile.

      Delete
    2. I appreciate the apology and I would like to point out that my post above is not directed at one person. I have heard multiple shots at me about some things and I wanted to clear the water on a few issues. I don't like when people throw me under the bus assuming I put people down because they are better than me at running or anything like that. It is ridiculous and it gets me fired up just as my comments got you fired up. Beyond that comment, I'm not really offended although maybe I would probably have appreciated it if you phrased your argument a little differently haha

      Delete
  5. Keep up the good work Etrain!

    ReplyDelete